The Pittsburgh Student Government Council (PSGC) was founded in response to the events of November 2009, when Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl proposed a tax on the tuition (“Fair Share Tax”) paid by students attending universities in the City of Pittsburgh.
The PSGC was originally organized by University of Pittsburgh GPSA President Daniel Jimenez, Carnegie Mellon Student Body President Rotimi Abimbola, and Student Senate Chair Aaron Gross. The Council held its first official ad-hoc meeting on November 16th in response to the tax proposal. This meeting involved student leaders from across the City of Pittsburgh and helped spur action from each university to oppose the tax. The Council ultimately collected over 10,000 signatures from students, faculty, and community members opposing the tax. Over 100 students turned out for a City Council hearing on November 30, 2009. The tax was ultimately withdrawn by Mayor Ravenstahl on December 21, 2009.
However, student leaders decided to continue meeting as a group in order to address local issues that directly related to students in Pittsburgh, and the official constitution of the Pittsburgh Student Government Council was drafted in May 2010 and ratified in August 2010 by the member schools. The council now meets on a monthly basis, with meeting location rotating between the member schools.
The leadership of the PSGC is elected by the members schools, and the Chair and Vice Chairs serve six month terms.
- 2009 – June 2010 | Chair: Rotimi Abimbola (de facto) (Carnegie Mellon)
- June 2010 – December 2010 | Chair: D. James Regar (Duquesne)
- January 2011 – June 2011 | Chair: Sudipta “Nila” Devanath (University of Pittsburgh)
- June 2011 – December 2011 | Chair: Leah Scott (Carlow), Vice-Chair Internal: Zachary Zeigler (Duquesne), Vice-Chair External: Aaron Gross (Carnegie Mellon)
- January 2012 – June 2012 | Chair: Zachary Zeigler (Duquesne), Vice-Chair Internal: Will Weiner (Carnegie Mellon), Vice-Chair External: Abigael Brennan (Chatham)
- June 2012 – December 2012 | Chair: David Givens (University of Pittsburgh)
- December 2012 – June 2013 | Chair: Taylor Gombar (Chatham)
- June 2013 – December 2013 | Chair: Hally Ramirez (Duquesne)
- December 2013 – June 2014 | Chair: Hally Ramirez (Duquesne)
- June 2014 – April 2015 | Chair : Dave Gau (University of Pittsburgh)
- June 2016 – April 2017 | Chair: Shayna Mendez (Point Park), Vice-Chair Internal: Nicole Rafidi (Carnegie Mellon), Vice-Chair External: Apryl Zaczek (CCAC)
- June 2017- April 2018 | Chair: Danielle Wicklund (Robert Morris), Vice-Chair Internal: Cassidy Lalley (Carlow), Vice-Chair External: Maitreyee Joshi (Carnegie Mellon)